[INTEREST] 1920s Pacific Tramp Ship Pulp Adventure

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
May 20, 2024 4:16 am
I’m still figuring out the specifics of my character, but I’m going for either a con artist type of character or the heir of a wealthy businessman. The idea is someone persuasive and charismatic and who probably owns the boat.
May 20, 2024 11:07 am
QuingSolaris says:
I’m still figuring out the specifics of my character, but I’m going for either a con artist type of character or the heir of a wealthy businessman. The idea is someone persuasive and charismatic and who probably owns the boat.
Either of those would work well. The Rich edge would be enough to set them up as the heir character.
May 20, 2024 12:41 pm
I think you're making a good choice with SWADE. Fate's a brilliant game -- an all-time favorite of mine, a game that changed the way I run and play games generally -- but boy can it struggle if everyone's not proficient in its nuances.

Would a local (might be Māori or another Polynesian) sea captain be a good fit? Someone hired on to pilot the boat, or perhaps who owns the boat and was hired along with it by the wealthy type? Do we want an old boat with quirks, or a new one the captain doesn't fully trust yet? ;)
May 20, 2024 12:42 pm
Yup, cryptids is what I was thinking. He's hunted everything else deemed fierce and natural (elephants, bison, lions, tigers, bears, great white sharks, etc), and is now looking for a greater challenge, something to cement his legacy. Following his research, plus local legends, rumors, gossip, and whispers of greater, and odder/more dangerous things.
Last edited May 20, 2024 1:39 pm
May 20, 2024 1:03 pm
Hi Harrigan. A Maori or Samoan, etc. would be interesting. There’s a Maori crewman on the tramp steamer in Jackson’s King Kong. The guy walks right up to the camera at one stage so you can see his moku (tat). A shout out to NZ by (Kiwi) Jackson, I guess.

Making them captain would avoid straying into iffy stereotypes, too. I’ve just got one request- could we avoid posting old images of deceased locals ( as a character icon say ) in case Antipodeans are in the game or reading. A suggestion to avoid player homework is to imply that he is Polynesian but don’t specify whether he’s Maori, Hawaiian, Cook Islander or whatever.

As you mention, I think we can accommodate the owner idea and the captain role if he’s the hired skipper. I prefer the leaky old rust bucket angle with the ship.
May 20, 2024 1:04 pm
ctme2000 says:
Yup, cryptids is what I was thinking. He's hunted everything else deemed fierce and natural (elephants, bison, lions, tigers, bears, great white sharks, etc), and is now looking for a greater challenge. Following his research, plus local legends, rumors, gossip, and whispers of greater, and odder/more dangerous things.
Perfect!
May 20, 2024 1:34 pm
ctme2000 says:
Yup, cryptids is what I was thinking. He's hunted everything else deemed fierce and natural (elephants, bison, lions, tigers, bears, great white sharks, etc), and is now looking for a greater challenge. Following his research, plus local legends, rumors, gossip, and whispers of greater, and odder/more dangerous things.
Get that man some trained hunting dogs and he could be 'famed Adventurer' Charles Muntz from Disney's UP...
May 20, 2024 1:38 pm
I'm all for steering clear of harmful stereotypes, no worries. And he might be a she; undecided on gender at the moment.
May 20, 2024 1:42 pm
witchdoctor says:
ctme2000 says:
Get that man some trained hunting dogs and he could be 'famed Adventurer' Charles Muntz from Disney's UP...
So had to look that up on Wikipedia! Ed Asner? I remember that guy from the Mary Tyler Moore show!
May 20, 2024 2:34 pm
OrangeTree says:
witchdoctor says:
ctme2000 says:
So had to look that up on Wikipedia! Ed Asner? I remember that guy from the Mary Tyler Moore show!
Muntz was the antagonist to Ed Asner's protagonist, Carl Frederickson, in UP but yes. I remember watching Mary Tyler Moore back in the day!
May 20, 2024 2:52 pm
Harrigan says:
I'm all for steering clear of harmful stereotypes, no worries. And he might be a she; undecided on gender at the moment.
Thanks Harrigan.

(I don't want to give the impression that I'm going to 'police' the game around identity and such. 1920s pulp is bound to have some edgy moments.)
May 20, 2024 3:55 pm
OrangeTree says:
witchdoctor says:
ctme2000 says:
I was thinking more the explorer from the Jumanji movie, but that ain't shabby either!
May 20, 2024 6:18 pm
So as not to drag this out, could I ask folks whether they are ok with a 3 to 4 post a week rate? 3 post minimum? I wouldn’t like to drop below that except by discussion (players in an irl busy steak who can play a slower game aboard ship). Does that seem reasonable?

I’ll open a game thread for those who are ok with this rate and who’ve ‘cleared’ some kind of character idea here. Might be this evening.
Last edited May 20, 2024 6:43 pm
May 20, 2024 6:21 pm
I’m fine with 3-4 posts a week!
May 20, 2024 7:07 pm
I'm also fine with 3-4 posts a week.
May 20, 2024 7:26 pm
I'm good with the post rate. If my PC has nothing to say/offer, I'll try to post something so you know I'm around.

I'm not sure if we need a balanced party in SWADE. Unless there's a position we need filled, I'm thinking I'll play a mechanic/grease monkey that works for the captain/owner. He'll try to keep the ship running and in one piece.
May 20, 2024 7:49 pm
crazybirdman says:
I'm good with the post rate. If my PC has nothing to say/offer, I'll try to post something so you know I'm around.

I'm not sure if we need a balanced party in SWADE. Unless there's a position we need filled, I'm thinking I'll play a mechanic/grease monkey that works for the captain/owner. He'll try to keep the ship running and in one piece.
Yes, good! i agree we need some more typical crew types to balance things out.
May 20, 2024 10:06 pm
So if you are happy with the post rate and have shown me a character concept, please go over to the game forum. EDIT forgot that I have to invite here :)
Last edited May 20, 2024 11:50 pm
May 22, 2024 9:28 pm
Hey @OrangeTree, I am fine for a rate of 3-4 posts per week.
Last edited May 22, 2024 9:30 pm

You do not have permission to post in this thread.